Movie Reviews by Mainstream Movie Critics Are Terrible!
Lets face it Film Critics don’t watch movies the same way you and I do. That’s why when I review a movie I answer the 3 questions you want answered which are:
- Who’s in the movie.
- Was it Funny/Scary/Action packed/Sweet/etc..
- Should you go and see it or not.
The days of Siskel and Ebert movie reviews are over. The advent of Twitter and user generated movie review sites like Flixter and Rotten Tomatoes have brought us a whole new era of the movie review. The old critics looked at movies like a film student would look at movies. They look for the message of the director, how they execute foreshadowing and if the score matched the overall feel of the movie.
Is that what YOU look for? I didn’t think so. We’re real people looking to go on an adventure, not jaded film flunkies!
Since the average Joe and the Critics’ way of watching a film is SO different, the films that they praise usually, for lack of a better word, ‘Suck’. I can’t tell you how many times I would go see a movie that the critics said will bomb, and it turned out to BE the bomb! I’ve watched several of the movies they praise in their movie reviews and about fell asleep!
The key to a good movie is usually genre specific and simple. Here is how I watch a movie and review it.
When it comes to Movie Reviews, the first thing I do is watch the movie’s trailer. The trailer will usually give you a pretty good idea of the movie, although sometimes it will lead you astray! I remember seeing the trailer for ‘Burn After Reading’ and thinking it would be OK, and lets just say it wasn’t.
The second thing I do is forget what good or bad movie reviews I hear about the movie. I try to stay objective and watch the movie for what it is, which is entertainment.
One Thing that makes a good reviewer is someone that can tell you if it was entertaining or not. Another thing is being able to accurately rate a movie outside of their favorite style of movies. Siskel and Ebert hated horror slasher movies, and notoriously rated them down because of it. Did it make those movies bad to people that like those kinds of movies? Of course not!
Why Trust Nutshell-Movies’ Movie Reviews?
That is a great question, I’m glad I asked it for you! What sets Nutshell-Movies apart from other movie reviews is knowing the perspective of the reviewer that rated the movie. Rotten Tomatoes is a great site, and they rate pretty much every movie out there in circulation, FAR more than I can. The idea of averaging scores from 1-5 or 1-10 for an over all score is nothing new, but those numbers are just numbers. IMDB has been averaging stuff like this for a quite a while, and we can see that movies like The Shawshank Redemption are ‘Good’ because it scores a 9.2 out of 500,000+ votes. That’s great and all but of those 500,000+ votes, how many of those people do you personally know? How many people were just blasting through pages and saw that movie and just clicked 10 for the hell of it?
Well this is the difference: I’am just a guy that loves movies, and I write from that perspective. My taste in movies is easy to figure out, and when I write movie reviews outside of my typical zone I take that into account.
What’s in our Movie Reviews?
My reviews are simple. I fill you in on the things you need to know about the movie, I tell you what happens (if you read past the spoiler alert bar) and I give you a simple ‘Movie Nut’ rating based on a scale from 1 – 5.
Here is a standard review list for the movie reviews. In other words, this is what I cover and the order I cover it.
- Movie Title Screen – I show you the actual title screenshot for the movie (if they have one).
- The Movie in a Nutshell (WITH NO SPOILERS) – A brief over all summary of what the movie is about without divulging any spoilers.
- The Movie Trailer – Self-Explanatory. The Trailer lets you see the movie’s feel and some of the selected content.
- The Breakdown – Quick info you need to know about the movie. Who’s in it, what genre is it, how long is it, whats it rated etc..
- The Verdict (SPOILER ZONE) – I give some thoughts on the movie and then lay out a full plot synopsis followed by the Movie Nut rating. (or a rating from 1/10 on older reviews)
- The Official Nutshell-Movies Explanation – We tell what happens in this movie in 140 characters or less (including the title)
- Buy the movie from Amazon – This is important because every time anyone clicks our affiliate links and buys the movie, we get the funds necessary to keep this site alive!
- Fun Facts – Stuff you may or may not have known about the movie.
Movie Reviews are a great way to find out if a movie is worth seeing or not!