Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Explained In a Nutshell
Before Scott Pilgrim can be with the girl of his dreams he has to win 7 fights of epic proportions with the ‘League of Evil Exes’.
The Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Movie Trailer
The Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Movie Review Breakdown
Tagline: Get the hot girl. Defeat her evil exes. Hit love where it hurts.
Who is in it? Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culkin, Chris Evans
Genre: Action – Comedy – Romance
Was it action packed, funny, and romantic? Sure.
Would this movie be for every Action/Comedy fan? No.
Should you see it? It really depends to be honest. You have to like video games and A.D.D. is a must.
Run Time: 112 minutes
Once upon a time in a land far, far away… in Kansas City, Missouri…. I get Scott Pilgrim Vs The World in the mail from Netflix. Now I won’t really consider myself a ‘fan’ of Michael Cera or anything but I thought he was good in Superbad and Year One, but he has been typecast like crazy! This movie was a tad different. Don’t get me wrong or anything, he is still the same character as he is in everything ever but this time he has crazy fight scenes and stuff which is another tally mark on the wall of odd things I’ve seen in my lifetime. At the end of the day this movie was designed for video game fans from around the time of SNES – Playstation, that also love action/comedies. Since I am all of those things, I dug the movie. I didn’t love it, but I also didn’t dislike it. Lets just say I would like it on Facebook but I wouldn’t bail it out of jail or invite it over for Thanksgiving dinner or anything.
Lets get to it, Scott Pilgrim vs The Wold is not the kind of movie I would want to give a play by play from because the movie jumps around a lot. So instead I’ll keep it short and sweet and give you a brief overview of what happens. Scott Pilgrim is a 22 year old ball’less, jobless, and nearly homeless guy dating a high school Asian girl. He lives with his best friend which also happens to be gay, and they hilariously sleep in the same bed… with other men but I digress. (Hey, it’s a comedy!) Scott Pilgrim’s only real edge is that he is in a band, and they don’t suck. Scott for some reason has some Ex girlfriends of his own, the most recent of which dumped him after being picked up by a major record label and skyrocketed to success. Long story short, Scott Pilgrim meets a chick with colored hair named Ramona Flowers and falls in love instantly.
Scott Pilgrim dumps his hot Asian girlfriend to be with Ramona and quickly finds out that she has some serious baggage. Scott will have to defeat the entire ‘League of Evil Exes’ which consists of 7 of her ex lovers, each of which has special powers of some kind. The first was just a guy with crazy martial arts skill and at the end in pure video game fashion, he turned into coins and Scott got some points. As the movie progresses he has to fight an action movie A-list star, a bi-sexual chick, some Asian DJ twins, and so on. My personal favorite was a Vegan with special Vegan powers played by Brandon Routh (Superman Returns). He is a Vegan which means ‘he is just a little better than everyone else’ and he has super strength and can read minds. He gets defeated by a cup of coffee with half and half in it. The Vegan Police come and take away his ‘Vegan Edge Powers’ allowing a mortal like Scott to defeat him.
The movie boils down to the genesis of the League of evil Exes named Gideon Graves or ‘G-Man’. Gideon is some kind of hipster with his own club and record label. Gideon kills Scott Pilgrim during the fight but luckily for him he had gotten an extra life during his path of ass kickery and comes back with a vengeance and a new plan of taking down G-Man. Scott of course wins the fight revealing a special challenge… he must fight MEGA SCOTT, in true Legend of Zelda fashion. Then there is a cut to a scene with the two Scotts walking outside together as friends which was pretty funny. Scott and Ramona walk through a door together and the camera pans up to a continue screen reminiscent of Tekken or some other fighting game, Continue? 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1… The End.
Official Nutshell-Movies Explanation
Fun Facts about Scott Pilgrim Vs The World
- During the editing process, Edgar Wright showed filmmakers Quentin Tarantino, Jason Reitman, and Kevin Smith a rough cut of the film, to which they responded positively.
- During the writing of Hot Fuzz, Edgar Wright thought of casting Michael Cera as the titular character after watching Arrested Development.
- The stunt doubles of Lucas Lee are the actual stunt doubles for actor Chris Evans. Only a quarter of the doubles resemble Evans.
- Casa Loma, the setting for the scene where Lucas Lee is filming his movie, is a popular filming location in Toronto. It is perhaps most notable to comic book fans as the location used for Professor Xavier’s School in X-Men and its sequels.
- Brie Larson’s character’s band, “The Clash at Demonhead”, is named after a lesser known Nintendo Entertainment System game, “Clash at Demonhead”, which was released in the US in 1990. The name is also a play on the influential punk band, The Clash.
- The character Lucas Lee’s name consists of the middle names of the editor and designer of the comics: error and Bryan Lee O’Malley.
- The name of Scott Pilgrim’s band, Sex Bob-Omb, is a reference to the Nintendo video game Super Mario Bros. 2. The game features an enemy character named Bob-omb that looks like a small, round bomb with a lit fuse, legs, and eyes. An image resembling this character is depicted on the band’s kick drum. “Sex Bomb” is the name of a song by the punk rock band Flipper, as well as a hit record by singer Tom Jones.
- At the first Battle of the Bands and when fighting the first evil ex Scott is seen wearing a “Plumtree” t-shirt. Plumtree is an all-girl indie rock band that released the song “Scott Pilgrim” on their 1998 album, ‘Predicts the Future’. The song became the inspiration for Bryan Lee O’Malley to create the graphic novel’s title character.
- During the scene in the record store when Knives picks up a CD by The Clash at Demonhead Scott throws the CD onto another rack, where the Beck album ‘Odelay’ is visible. Beck wrote “Ramona” and composed the music for Sex Bob-Omb.
- Sex Bob-Omb has two members – Stephen Stills and Young Neil – whose character names recall members of Crosby Stills Nash & Young. The most obvious is Young Neil being a reference to Neil Young.
- Crash and the Boys are said to hail from Brampton. Brampton, Ontario is a city located outside Toronto, and the home town of Michael Cera.
- Kim Pine becomes visibly upset when she finds out that the rival band “Crash and the Boys” has a girl drummer. All drummers in the movie are girls.
- The 8-bit Universal logo at the beginning of the film was Edgar Wright’s idea; it was then designed by his brother Oscar Wright, the concept designer and storyboard artist on the film. The logo seen in the final film was actually only a first-draft. It was not yet considered finished when test screenings began, but audiences reacted so positively to it that it was decided that no further work need be done.
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World is really hard to follow the first time through but gets credit for it’s originality.