Movies From TV Shows
Movies from TV Shows should not be confused with movies (usually heavily censored) being shown on TV. The movie industry is a place of fleeting creativity, although it would seem like it’s got creativity oozing out of the woodwork. Movies need a constant source of subject matter from mediums with actual creativity like books, comics, video games (although most are done very badly), and yes even Television shows. Movies made from TV shows or comic books come with a built in audience, and if that audience is large enough it can mean almost guaranteed profits. In other words, its a safe bet. Safe bets are all Hollywood will touch! Save the pure creativity for independent films and B-Movies.
Movies From TV Shows Don’t Always Work
There have been some really bad movies from TV shows made. Some of these movies include ‘Bewitched’, ‘The Beverly Hillbillies’, ‘The Flintstones’ and ‘George of the Jungle’. Some movies just don’t translate well from the small screen to the big screen.
7 of my favorite Movies from TV shows (in no particular order as always)
- Office Space (1999): Office Space originated from the ‘Milton’ shorts that used to air on Saturday Night Live.
- Mission Impossible (1996): Never watched the shows but Mission Impossible 1 was pretty damn cool.
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 (1996): MST3K was the best show ever. Although it wasn’t much of a leap in format, this movie was pretty good.
- Miami Vice (2006): Personally I liked Miami Vice and this version was pretty darn good. I’m not a huge Colin Farrell fan but he did well in this movie.
- The Saint (1997): This movie wasn’t that popular but I sure couldn’t tell you why. Val Kilmer did a great job I thought.
- The Addams Family (1991): Before you say anything about this originating from a comic strip, let me remind you that this was clearly based off of the show.
- The Fugitive (1993): Great movie, you need to see it if you haven’t.
Hollywood shouldn’t make every TV show into a movie, but Movies from TV shows can work!