The zombie comedy, ‘zomedy‘ or ‘ZomCom’ is a pretty small portion of the horror genre. The zomcom fulfills two needs in my life simultaneously which is the need to see a zombie movie and the need to laugh at things. The marriage of the two ideas really hits the spot and I’m pleased to share a little of my zombie addiction with you!
- The Return of the Living Dead (1985): Two men open a military canister that turns people into zombies & the government bombs the town.
- Shaun of the Dead (2004): A couple regular guys fight to survive after their neighborhood is plagued with the walking dead.
- Zombieland (2009): Two survivors of a large scale zombie epidemic get robbed by two girls headed to LA and decide to go with them.
- Planet Terror (2007): A bio chemical is released causing a zombie epidemic and its up to a bunch of hardcore misfits to stop it.
- Return of the Living Dead 2 (1988): 3 kids open a canister that turns people into zombies. Electricity kills zombies. Humanity wins.
- Dead Alive (1992): A man violently kills zombies that are infesting his home by running at them full-bore with a push lawnmower.
- Re-Animator (1985): A guy and his girlfriend are caught in bizarre experiments when a new guy shows up at their medical school.
- Fido (2006): Zombies are slaves to wealthy families in a 1950′s Leave it to Beaver setting and some fall in love with humans.
- Wasting Away (2007): A light hearted view of a zombie outbreak from the zombie’s point of view. They’re people too!
- Ninjas vs. Zombies (2008): A wizard resurrects his brother that in turn steals souls turning people into zombies that only ninjas can kill.
A Tip of the Hat
I hated not including this next one, but there were simply no flesh eating zombies in it. Seriously it made me sad.
- Army of Darkness (1992): A man from the future helps defend a castle from an army of the dead that has risen to re-claim a book.
- Night of the Creeps (1986): Teens fight zombies caused by brain eating parasites that accidentally fell to earth from an alien spacecraft.
- Zombie Strippers! (2008): A secret military “chemo-virus” is released in Nebraska and strippers become super zombie strippers.
- Beyond Re-Animator (2003): The mad scientist from the original goes to jail but continues his research even after incarcerated.
- Night of the Comet (1984): A comet hits earth, the only survivors are two Valley girls, a few stragglers… and the walking dead.
- My Boyfriend’s Back (1993): A man comes back from the dead as a zombie to win the heart of the girl of his dreams.
- Dead Heat (1988): A madman resurrects people into unstoppable zombies to commit crimes, and a cop killed in action returns to fight them.